Here’s the best computer for seniors and elderly parents
I’m seeing this firsthand with my parents, who are both in their 80s; modern technology seems to cause them more and more confusion.
The best PC for older parents: Something other than a PC?
Instead of a traditional Windows-powered desktop or laptop, steer your parents toward a Chromebook or tablet-keyboard combo, which are more appropriate for their needs. Most retirees want things like email, Facebook, and basic web browsing.
The Chromebook option
There is a learning curve, especially if your employees are used to Windows.
The iPad option
iPads can be expensive, especially if you opt for a 12.9-inch iPad Pro, which comes without a keyboard or the Apple Pencil. The iPad 10.2 starts at $329, but goes on sale for less at stores like Amazon.
iPad alternatives: Fire tablets and more
When docked, Amazon’s tablet also serves as an Echo Show display, though the Fire interface isn’t as user-friendly as the iPad’s. Microsoft’s Surface Go 2 is essentially a Windows laptop with few senior-friendly features. It’s not a bad product, but I believe older users would be better served elsewhere.
How do I get rid of age restrictions on my Chromebook?
Control your child’s Chromebook experience.
- Choose the setting that’s right for your family:
- Tap Manage sites to manually allow or block certain sites.
- Open the Family Link app.
- Select your child.
- Tap Manage settings. Google Chrome.
What do you do when your Chromebook runs out of memory?
Try the following fixes to free up space if your Chromebook is slow or out of disk space:
- Delete files from your Chromebook that you don’t need.
- Clear your browsing data and download history.
- Uninstall apps that you don’t use.
- Remove any extra user accounts from your Chromebook.
How do I change administrator to normal user in Chrome?
To change an administrator’s Chrome privileges, follow these steps:
- Sign in to your Google Admin console.
- Go to Admin roles from the Admin console Home page.
- Click the link for the role you want to change.
- Click Privileges.
- Scroll down to Services under Admin Console Privileges.
Is 4GB of RAM enough for a Chromebook?
Most Chromebooks come with 4GB of RAM, though some more expensive models may have 8GB or 16GB. For most people who are working from home and doing casual computing, 4GB of RAM is more than enough.
How do I disable parental controls?
Steps to take
- Open the Play Store app.
- Tap Menu.
- Tap Settings.
- Tap Parental controls.
- Slide to turn off Parental controls.
- Enter 4-digit PIN.
Can a Chromebook run out of memory?
If your Chromebook runs out of memory when you need it most, here’s how to fix it. This problem is most common on Chromebooks with 2GB of memory, but even those with 4GB aren’t guaranteed to be free of it.
What does it mean when your Chromebook runs out of memory?
As more browser tabs are opened, data on older tabs simply vanishes, requiring them to be refreshed, which is inconvenient, especially if those tabs are used for communications or media consumption. The problem also occurs on Chromebooks with 4 GB of RAM, but it occurs much less frequently.
How do I get rid of administrator?
Locate Users after you’ve launched System Preferences.
- Users should be located.
How do you remove this setting is enforced by your administrator?
Follow these steps to get rid of the Chrome malware that says “This setting is enforced by your administrator”:
- STEP 1: Delete the policies in Chrome that say “This setting is enforced by your administrator.” STEP 2: Delete the malicious browser extensions from Google Chrome. STEP 3: Delete the malicious programs from Windows.
How do I get rid of managed administrator?
Here’s how to get started.
- Step 1: Open Google Chrome on your computer. Step 2: Scroll down and click Manage search engines. Step 3: If you see any suspicious websites, click the three-dot icon next to them and select Remove from the list.
Why are Chromebooks so bad?
The new Chromebooks are well-designed and well-made, but they lack the fit and finish of the MacBook Pro line, and they aren’t as capable as full-fledged PCs at some tasks, particularly processor- and graphics-intensive tasks. However, the new Chromebooks can run more apps than any platform in history.
How do I check the memory on my Chromebook?
The task manager shows you how much memory, CPU, and network activity different web pages, browser extensions, and apps are using by clicking the menu button, pointing to “More Tools,” and then selecting the “Task Manager” option.